There is no guarantee that you will not become pregnant even if you are taking the best birth control methods. It takes just an entry of a sperm into the egg and gets fertilized. Do not postpone going for pregnancy test if you have just missed your period and believe that you cannot become pregnant since you are following the most effective methods for postponing the pregnancy.
It is enough if you could test your urine sample for the presence of HCG hormone which confirms that you are pregnant. The hormone Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin gets secreted only if the fertilized egg implants itself on the walls of the uterus after getting fused with a successful sperm. OTC urine test can be taken and checked for pregnancy in case of any doubts.
You can always do pregnancy test if you have no idea about the dates of previous period. All you have to do is to collect your urine sample and dip the testing stick into it. As per the reports of the Cleveland Clinic, these tests are 100% safe and effective for checking your pregnancy but you have to take the test after you have missed your regular period. Any woman can do this pregnancy test at home since it is very simple. Follow the instructions given in the testing sample and wait for the suggested minutes to get the quick results.
There is range of testing procedures available in the market. Some of them indicate change in color and some of them show the result with sings like “+” or “-“and some would just show the words like “pregnant” etc. You can ask the pharmacist in case of any doubt about using the testing stick.
Right Time :
The best time for checking the status of pregnancy is minimum 7 days after the period date, if you have missed the period. In case you don’t remember the exact dates of period, you can go for testing just two weeks after intercourse. You should give sufficient time for the body to secrete pregnancy hormone which can be found in the urine sample.
It might take anywhere from 7-10 days for the secretion of HCG hormone after the egg gets implanted in the uterus wall. At home pregnancy test may not give you accurate results always, it is wise to go the nearest clinic for checking the status of pregnancy. If you take the pregnancy test before this time, you may not get right result as expected.
Some of the signs of early pregnancy are given below :
1. Missing Period – First and foremost sign of early pregnancy is, of course, the missing period or delayed period. Most of the women fall in the range of 28-35 days of menstrual cycle. If you are expecting pregnancy you can note down the dates of period and take the pregnancy test 30 days after the previous period. In case your normal cycle is 30 or 32 days, you can check for pregnancy on 33rd day after previous period.
Remember one thing. Your period can get delayed due to several factors like stress, certain diet and medications, and strenuous exercise. If you suspect that you are pregnant, it is better to check it promptly than to wait for other pregnancy symptoms.
Some women may get light spots even after the fertilized egg gets attached to the wall of the uterus. But the color and texture of the blood would be certainly different from regular menstrual periods.
2. Abdominal Cramps – Abdominal pain and discomfort can also be caused due to pregnancy which can be very much similar to that of monthly menstrual cramps. But it is not for all women. Cramps in the abdomen occur when the egg gets attached to the uterus.
3. Sore Breasts – Several physical and mental changes happen once you get pregnant. It can be because of increased hormone secretion of estrogen. Owing to these changes your breasts may hurt and become tender. Some women can feel increase in size of their breasts just before periods.
4. Physical Symptoms – You may feel tired, weak and exhausted if you become pregnant. But it would not start immediately after you became pregnant, it might take some time for these changes to occur. The signs of pregnancy increases as days and weeks passes and many women can develop aversion for certain food items and liking for other foods. Pay attention to your bodily changes and anything unusual can be due to pregnancy.
Do not take chance if you have slight doubt that you can be pregnant. Promptly check yourself with simple testing procedure without omitting even slightest chance. Using contraceptive pills or other methods does not give any guarantee that you will not become pregnant.
Read more on Irregular Periods and Pregnancy
What Is Leuteal Phase ?
Luteal phase can be described as the period between the ovulation and the date of beginning of menstrual cycle. Some women have shorter leuteal phase period and others may have longer duration. It is wise to check for pregnancy test after the completion of leuteal phase.
You can do the pregnancy test exactly a day after your missed period which can be accurate indicating the presence of HCG hormone in the urine sample.
Pregnancy Test In Early Stages :
- If you are going for pregnancy test before the missing date of period there is very little chance for the test to show accurate result. But in case you are getting positive result your wait is over and you are relieved from stress.
- There is more chance of getting negative result even if you are really pregnant, in case you are doing pregnancy test in early stage. You may get disappointed if you are expecting to become pregnant. And needless to say, you will be losing some cash.
- Number of options of pregnancy tests is available in the market including that of FRER or First Response Early Result test. This is a manual test that detects the pregnancy hormone in early stages of pregnancy. Even before the due date (5 days before the date of period)