Medusa piercing is one of the most popular piercing types that receive tremendous attention, especially from the teenagers both men and women. The reasons are it look striking if wore bold and inventive studs or jewelry along with to highlight the shape of lips. Medusa piercing is a famous type of upper lip piercing that involves a tear in philtrum. Philtrum is a vertical groove that is situated in the middle region of the upper lip, just below the nose septum. Medusa piercing is also known as philtrum piercing.
A medusa or philtrum piercing is very similar to the standard labret which is placed on the small groove below the nose septum and above the lip. Medusa piercing is gaining popularity as it highlights the beauty of the lips and a good way to attract people. The two piercings performed together along the philtrum is known as double medusa.
What Is Medusa?
There is not known information about the name medusa. It is believed that this kind of piercing makes women beautiful as Greek women (medusa). It is also being believed that a Canadian hairdresser Kerrick named medusa to philtrum piercing. Medusa piercing gives a unique look to the wearer. The alternative names of medusa piercing are cleft and upbret piercing. Medusa piercing is a tactful process and can change the facial symmetry, if done incorrectly. It is recommended to get all the information regarding medusa piercing before planning to do that.
There are two variations in medusa piercing as mentioned below
- Double Medusa Piercing – In this type, philtrum area is pierced twice to use combination of studs together.
- Vertical Medusa Piercing/ Jestrum Piercing – In this type philtrum area is pierced vertically to protrude the barbell out of the skin twice, making two studs sit on top of each other.
Procedure Of Medusa Piercing
It is good to take a services of a professional piercer for piercing as self-piercing may cause many complications and not safe.
- Sterilized needle
- Alcohol swab
- Pen for marking
- Sponge forceps
- Laser torch
- Medical lubricant
The Procedure Include
- Firstly, wash mouth with antibacterial mouth wash
- Wash hands with antibacterial solution and properly dry them with towel
- wear gloves and cleanse the target area with alcohol swabs
- Mark the area on which piercing has to be done with a pen
- Ensure that the marks is at the center and clamp it properly
- Flash proper light on the area
- Hold the lip with the help of clamp and lubricate the needle
- Pass the needle very quickly and make a hole
- Place a hollow part of jewelry on the pin and push it in the hole very quickly while pulling out the needle
- Set the jewelry properly by placing the closing ball
Medusa piercing is difficult to hide and visible on the face so obvious that it is harder to hide them forever.
Cost Of Medusa Piercing
- In UK, medusa piercing generally cost 20-25 Euros
- In the US, it costs around 45$ -90$
- Along with the piercing cost, jewelry cost varies as per your preference
Pain During Medusa Piercing
The philthrum area has plenty of nerves, so it is obvious that the piercing at philtrum area hurts, but he pain varies person to person. However it is not considered as most painful piercing. If you have decided to go for medusa piercing you can ignore pain as it looks stunning.
Healing Of Medusa Piercing
Healing process of medusa piercing takes around 6-8 weeks. The swelling and pain can disappear within 1-2 weeks and make it comfortable to change the jewelry easily. However, it takes up to 6 months for complete healing of the tissues. A good aftercare and cleaning piercing daily with saline solution is must in the healing time period.
Medusa Piercing Aftercare
It is recommended to follow aftercare instructions of medusa piercing very obediently for first few weeks for faster recovery. The aftercare instructions include
- Daily wash piercing with saline solution
- Use a nonalcoholic mouthwash or sea salt soaks after every meal daily
- Avoid salty and sugary foods
- Use a new, soft, comfortable brush to avoid bacteria development and plaque build up
- Wash hands before and after cleaning the piercing
Aftercare To Avoid Swelling
Swelling is normal in piercing and its condition depends on a person’s response to inflammation. A person can get a small bump to a swollen face during swelling. The swelling can vanish within the 1-2 weeks of piercing. The main reason of developing swelling is use of long stud. It is good to change the long stud with a small stud, once the swelling subsides, to avoid damage in teeth and gums. Putting small pieces of ice, anti-inflammatory drugs, talk slow and less and chewing food slowly is advised to eliminate swelling early.
Aftercare Form Getting Infection
The symptoms of getting infection are
- Redness and swelling
- Itching, burning, and irritation
- Difficulty in eating and swallowing
- Swelling in the lymph nodes
- Green or yellow colored discharge
The chances of getting infection can be reduced by following aftercare instructions properly and obediently. The aftercare instructions include
- Regular cleaning of piercing with warm water, sea salt soaks, and antibacterial soap
- Brush the mouth regularly
- Use warm compresses to lower the pain and swelling
- Eat yogurt
- Take a diet full of vitamins
- Do not remove jewelry, if infection is there as it may cause an abscess
- Avoid squeezing the discharge
Jewelry For Medusa Piercing
Internally threaded jewelry is the best jewelry for new medusa piercing. Gauge 14-16 labret studs are used for initial piercing. Medusa piercing is normally performed with a small labret stud. The size of the stud matters as long stud may cause injury in the gums and short stud may be embedded in the flesh.
It is advised to consult with the piercer for the correct size of stud before buying. The externally threaded jewelry develops scratches in the tissue, increase the healing time and a source of developing infection. Medusa piercing provides an opportunity to wear different types of jewelry to get a unique look. Medusa piercing is generally performed with a labret stud with a ball, comfortably sitting in the philtrum.
Risks Associated With Medusa Piercing
There are risks associated with every type of piercing and medusa is one of them. It is good to understand each instruction very clearly before going for piercing. Much knowledge on the piercing may help you to lower the risks and reduce the chances of getting them or dealing with them. Risks associated with medusa piercing include
- Bleeding and pain
- Gum or teeth erosion
- Yellow or green discharge
- Buildup of discolored tissues
- Formation of pus
- Develop a bad smell
Precautions In Medusa Piercing
- Avoid using beta dine or alcohol to clean piercing. It lowers the healing process as they are strong agents
- Avoid applying supplementary ointments such as Neosporin, triple antibiotics, or bacitracin. These ointments block oxygen from reaching the piercing and make a room for developing sticky residue which is full of dirt and germs.
- Avoid touching piercing with dirty hands
- Avoid oral sex or kissing
- Avoid using body spray, hair spray, lotions, perfumes or cosmetics
- Avoid chewing gum, and nonfood items such as pencils, fingernails during healing
- Avoid going near water bodies such as swimming pool, Jacuzzi, river, lake as these places are full of bacteria
- Avoid using tobacco products such as cigarettes, chew and smoking
- Avoid alcoholic beverages
- Avoid eating salty, spicy, acidic, hot food
- Always eat food in small pieces and slowly
- Avoid playing with the jewelry
It is advised to take full rest, balanced nutritious diet and reduce the stress level to heal quickly. Every person has a different healing time as per their immunity. It needs lot of care and patience to make your piercing a pleasure for lifetime.