“Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone”. It is a quote about snoring. Are you highly concerned that your partner’s snoring disturbs your sleep to a great extent? Of course, he might not know that he is snoring. The worst thing about snoring is that it disturbs the sleep of others around. Of course, it is highly understandable that you look for a good relief for your partner from snoring. Thanks to natural remedies that you can rightly follow at home to help with relief. But, before gathering details in this respect, it is better to know about snoring.
Facts About Snoring
- Snoring can be a sign of an underlying medical issue
- Snoring is affected by different factors. Some of them include the stage of the sleep and sleeping positions. Even, the use of certain medications and alcohol can worsen snoring
- The vibrations causing snoring are caused by turbulent airflow via narrowed airways
- It occurs due to the vibrating tissues present within the airways of the throat and the nose.
What Is Snoring Anyways?
Similar to any other sounds, it occurs due to the vibrations that make the particles in the air to create sound waves. For instance, when we speak, others hear our voice as our vocal cords vibrate. You might have heard the sound of the stomach growling at times. It happens when the intestines and the stomach vibrate as the food and air move through them. When a person sleeps, the turbulent flow of air can lead the tissues of the roof of the mouth and throat to vibrate. It causes the snoring. To be more specific, snoring is a sound that results from the turbulent airflow. The airflow makes the tissues to vibrate when you sleep.
Bringing some healthy lifestyle changes like sleeping on the side will help. You can also keep away from alcohol and lose weight for relief.
As you are looking for safe remedies for snoring, here are certain things that you can try.
Chamomile is known for its anti-inflammatory property. Any remedy with this property is known to reduce snoring.
How To Use Chamomile?
- Take a tablespoon of chamomile flowers or even you can use a chamomile tea bag and add to a cup of water
- Bring it to boil for about 15 minutes. Finally, strain the contents and add a teaspoon of honey
- Drink this warm tea before you go to bed every day.
If you do not want to add honey to the chamomile tea, you can use turmeric powder to the tea. It will also help.
How Does Chamomile Tea Works?
Chamomile is generally known for its medicinal properties. Bisabolol is one of the active ingredients of chamomile. It is the reason for the anti-inflammatory property of this herb. So, it will bring down the swelling of tissues in the nasal passage and will reduce snoring. Further, bisabolol functions as a muscle and nerve relaxant. It helps with soothing and relaxing muscles around the throat to induce good sleep.
2. Fenugreek and Spearmint
Studies show that issues with the digestion play a major role in sleep disturbances. Disturbed sleep can contribute towards snoring. To avoid digestive issues, you can rely on fenugreek and spearmint, thereby preventing snoring.
How To Use?
- Take a few fenugreek seeds and soak it in water for half an hour
- Take this extract and add spearmint tea to it
- Drink this before going to bed.
Otherwise, you can prepare spearmint tea and add fenugreek powder to the tea. Drink it before going to bed.
How Does It Work?
The herbal remedies are effective in bringing down nasal congestion. Further, they are effective in dilating or opening lower and upper airways for improving breathing when sleeping. They help with preventing swelling in the tissues that surround the throat and the nose. When fenugreek can address digestive issues and treat sleep apnea, spearmint will help with getting rid of acid issues in the digestive system, thereby helping with snoring relief.
3. Bitter Orange For Snoring
Take bitter orange every night to prevent snoring. However, if you have spleen problems, you should not take too much bitter orange. In the same way, carrying moms and individuals with stomach problems cannot take this fruit in large numbers.
How Does It Work?
In traditional Chinese Medicine, this fruit is being used not just to treat, but also to prevent snoring issues. It is rich in Vitamin C and it helps with strengthening the immune system. Further, this fruit is known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Also, the properties of this fruit will help with making the airway hygienic, thereby reducing the chance of snoring. In addition, this fruit contains synephrine, which is an excellent stimulant that will help with clearing clogs in the nasal passages. Further, it is effective in treating allergic disorders.
In most cases, people with excessive nasal congestion and cold will have snoring issues. Yogurt will help with bringing down nasal congestion by reducing mucus production. Further, it can promote mucus expectoration. Not just individuals with nasal congestion due to cold, but even in the case of individuals with other reasons of nasal congestion will have snoring.
How Does It Work?
Are you wondering why yogurt will help with reducing and alleviating nasal congestion? It works by bringing down nasal congestion. Further, it will help with improving the immune system as it contains active cultures and probiotics. However, there are many thoughts that one should not consume yogurt before going to bed as it can cause digestive issues. So, you can better take yogurt early during the day to prevent snoring at nights.
If the snoring is not caused by any serious problems like sleep apnea, it is better to rely on the effective and easy home remedy called ginger. You can use ginger in many ways to address the snoring issues.
How To Use Ginger For Snoring Relief?
- If you like the aroma of ginger, you can take it raw
- Peel off the skin properly and take 1/3 OZ of raw ginger per day
- It will help with snoring relief.
Alternative Ways To Use Ginger
- You can also take ginger tea by boiling grated ginger in water. Filter the ginger and drink the tea before going to bed.
- You can also take a teaspoon of grated fresh ginger with a teaspoon of honey. Mix these two ingredients in a cup of hot water before going to bed.
How Does Ginger Work?
Inflammation is one of the most common causes of snoring. Ginger with its anti-inflammatory property will help with inflammation relief of the throat tissues. Further, this remedy will stimulate salivary glands to produce more saliva. As the production of saliva increases, the lining of the throat will be coated properly with saliva to soothe inflammation. Further, ginger will help with relieving nasal congestion to relieve snoring.
6. Thyme Essential Oil
You might have heard about essential oils. Thyme essential oil is effective in snoring relief.
How To Use Thyme Essential Oil?
- Add a few drops of thyme essential oil in your room diffuser
- Switch on the diffuser about 15-20 minutes before bedtime
- It will effectively relieve snoring.
- Alternatively, you can take a few drops of thyme essential oil in a tissue and smell it before your bedtime to get snoring relief.
How Does It Help?
Thyme has properties that are effective in relieving many respiratory issues. This remedy works by opening and widening the upper airway. As narrowing of the upper airway is one of the common reasons for snoring, this remedy will help with snoring relief.
7. Eucalyptus Oil
As you know, eucalyptus oil is effective in relieving cold. So, it will effectively relieve blocks in the nose and nasal passage that causes snoring in some people.
How To Use Eucalyptus Oil?
- You can just add the oil to your diffuser.
- If the diffuser works the entire night, the nice aroma from the diffuser created by eucalyptus oil will relieve nasal blocks to control snoring.
You can apply eucalyptus oil in your nose and can add it in tissue and smell it as soon as you get to the bed.
How Does It Work?
It works by relieving congestion. When the congestion and cold are relieved, snoring will automatically stop. It is the ideal remedy for those facing snoring because of cold.
When some people snore regularly, others snore only during specific seasons. For instance, some snore during the winter season. It happens due to the build-up of mucus that blocks the airways and forces you to breathe through the mouth. In turn, you will snore.
How To Use Garlic?
- Include more of garlic in your diet
- Otherwise, you can chew one or two garlic pods and drink a glass of water
- You can do this daily preferably before bedtime
- It will help with reducing snoring and inducing sound sleep
- You can also add garlic to your dinner and make sure to eat the food when it is hot.
How Does It Work?
Garlic is the best remedy if the reason for snoring is a sinus infection. In addition to reducing mucus, it will also reduce inflammation in the respiratory system to reduce snoring.
As mentioned earlier, some people snore only in specific seasons. When the coldness associated with the winter season causes snoring in some people, some people snore in the summer. It is because of the seasonal allergies. Due to these allergies, their nasal passages get inflamed. You can treat snoring of this nature with the help of nettle.
How To Use Nettle?
- Prepare a tea made out of dried nettle leaves and can take it before bedtime
- Bring a cup of water to boil. Once the water boils, add the dried nettle leaves
- After 5 minutes, filter out the leaves and drink the tea
- You can take this tea before going to bed if you have seasonal snoring.
How Does It Work?
Nettle is generally known for its anti-inflammatory properties. So, it will cure the swelled nasal passages due to seasonal allergies and will relieve snoring.
10. Consider Using Sage
Sage is an herb that is beneficial for the humans in a number of ways. It will help with snoring relief as well.
How To Use?
Use Sage For Inhaling
- Take some sage leaves and put them in a pot
- Add some boiling water to the pot with sage leaves
- Now, add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar
- Just inhale the steam coming out of the pot from the ACV and sage leaves combo.
Sage Tea For Internal Consumption
You can also prepare sage tea by boiling hot water. Once the water starts to boil, add the sage leaves. After five minutes, filter the leaves and drink the tea. You can take this tea before going to bed daily to get snoring relief.
Who Are At The Risk Of Snoring?
- Men are more likely to snore as against women
- Individuals with excess weight tend to snore more commonly
- For individuals with a narrow airway, they are at greater risk of snoring
- Those drinking alcohol in larger quantities on a regular basis are at the risk
- Individuals with nasal problems are at higher risk
- People with a family history of sleep apnea and snoring are at the higher risk
So, if you fall under any of the above-mentioned categories, you should keep weight under control. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water every day. Further, regular exercising will avoid sleep apnea and the associated snoring. Keep yourself away from smoking and drinking as they both can increase the chance of snoring. In addition, include more anti-inflammatory foods to avoid snoring.