Periods or Menstruation in women is a natural process. Women from the age of 12 to 50 experience periods every month and every woman has their own menstrual cycle time duration. Sometimes periods may cause problem at that specific time duration such as spiritual event, wedding, holidays, sport or special events are some of the reasons when a woman wants to delay their periods.
There are many drugs available in the market to delay periods but these drugs are unsafe and harmful to the body and give many side effects. It is better to go for natural home remedies to delay periods as they are safe and have fewer side effects. Delaying periods with drugs causes hormonal imbalances and other side effects such as growth of hair on face or chin etc. To avoid such problems, it is best to use natural remedies to delay periods.
1. Gram Lentils
A gram lentil is one of the best home remedies to delay periods. Gram lentils have control to avoid contraction of uterus and block the release of blood during periods. Daily consumption of gram lentils show substantial effect and restricts the menstruation cycle and delay the periods. Take gram lentils soup at least before seven days of your expected periods.
- Fry some gram lentils and make them soft
- Grind these soft gram lentils to make a fine powder
- Make a thick soup with these gram lentils
- Take this soup daily to delay periods preferably with empty stomach in the morning
2. Mango Bark
Mango bark is one of the easily available remedy to delay periods. It is used to make menstruation associated natural medicines. It is best remedy to stop heavy bleeding during periods. With this remedy, you can delay your periods by one or 2 days.
- Take mango bark extract and add it to water
- Mix well and freeze it for 10-15 minutes
- Take one tablespoon of this mixture every day
- But, drink at least 3-4 tablespoon of the mixture, 5 days before the period
Sucking lemon throughout the day is also helpful in delaying period. It is a very simple method to avoid periods. Excess eating of acidic fruits are harmful to the health so, it is good to drink lemon juice to delay period.
- Start sucking or drinking lemon juice 3 days before the period
- Drink lemon juice at least 3 times a day for 3 days before period
4. French Beans or Green Beans
French beans/ Green Beans or string beans are good source to delay periods. It is observed that eating more green beans gives light or no bleeding, even some women do not get periods. It is very effective and easily available home remedy to delay periods.
- Take one bowl green beans and boil for 3-4 minutes to get half boiled green beans
- Sieve the water and add 2 spoons of lemon juice to green beans
- Mix well and eat green beans regularly 2 times a day
- It will stop periods temporarily
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the highly effective remedies to delay periods. It has many nutritional properties and used as organic medicine as well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar in one glass of water
- Drink it daily to delay periods at least 4-5 days
- You can add honey to make it more tasty
- Or you can mix apple cider vinegar in lemon juice and drink it twice a day.
6. Raspberry Tea
The leaves of raspberry are used as an herbal remedy to delay periods. The leaves of raspberry have many health benefits without any side effects and make reproductive system healthier. It is also a good source to delay periods as raspberry has astringent features and has alkaloid, fragarine that reduce cramps by toning and relaxing uterus. This kind of relaxation can stop the bleeding and delay periods.
- Dry few raspberry leaves and boil with water
- Make a tea from leaves and leave it for 10-15 minutes
- Sieve the leaves and drink raspberry tea to delay the periods
- Drinking raspberry tea to once or twice a day is helpful in delaying periods
- You can churn the dried raspberry leaves and make a powder from it. You can use this powder to make a tea every day.
7. Angelica Roots
Chinese uses Angelica roots as an herbal medicine from ages. It is good to treat menopause and menstrual cramps. Angelica roots are also known as Dong Quai or female ginseng. Angelica roots balance the female hormones and suppress the process of menstruation. Angelica roots are so effective that they can cause miscarriage in pregnant women.
- Put some roots of Angelica in water for at least 15 minutes
- Sieve the water and drink it as a herbal tea
- Drinking angelica roots tea 4-5 days regularly can regulate hormones and delay periods
8. Parsley Leaves
Parsley leaves is an effective herbal remedy to delay periods. Parsley leaves has substances such as apiol and myristicin that helps in delaying periods. Apiol is a toxic substance and it is advised to avoid giving it to a pregnant woman as it leads to miscarriage.
- Chop some fresh parsley leaves and boil it with water for 15-20 minutes
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to it
- Mix it well and drink it daily 3-4 times in a day, or
- Make juice of fresh parsley leaves with water and drink it daily 3-4 times
Gelatin is an easy home remedy to delay periods in a natural way without any side effects. It is made from collagen. Gelatin will remove excess estrogen from the body. Use it before 2 days of expected periods.
- Take one tablespoon of gelatin and mix it in one glass of warm water
- Stir it well to mix properly
- Leave the mixture for few minutes
- Drink it 3-4 times in a day to delay periods
10. Tamarind Pulp
Tamarind which is easily available in the market is used in many recipes to add flavor. Tamarind is also good for regulating hormonal levels and reducing the bleeding. A refreshing tamarind drink can delay periods for some days.
- Soak tamarind with water in a bowl for overnight
- Keep tamarind seeds out from the pulp
- Take pulp and add sugar and salt to it
- Mix it well by stirring it properly
- Drink it cool to delay periods
11. Chia Seeds
Another best remedy for delaying periods is chia seeds. Chia seeds are highly effective for reducing the bleeding. Chia seeds have a different, delicious taste which is liked by most of the women.
- Add chia seeds in one bowl of water
- Soak it for one night
- Drink it next morning on the empty stomach
- Start this process before 5 days of your period to delay periods
12. Cinnamon Tea
Cinnamon is an excellent home remedy to delay periods. Cinnamon has certain astringent features that relax body and give relief to the uterine. An ingredient Hydroxyl-chalcone, which exists in the cinnamon regulate the insulin level of the body and periods.
- Add cinnamon stick in one bowl of water
- Heat it slowly for 15 minutes
- Strain the water and drink it regularly every day
13. Sacred Fig
Sacred fig is also used as a remedy to delay periods. Sacred fig can control the hormone level and provide relief from the stress. Regular drinking of sacred fig juice can delay periods but it also gives some side effects. Over use of it can change a woman’s regular periodic cycle time frame.
- Take a handful of sacred fig leaves
- Blend it with water to make a juice
- Drink it regularly for a week to get desired results
14. Licorice Roots
Licorice roots are the good option to delay periods. Licorice roots are able to make changes in hormonal secretion and can delay the periods.
- Add licorice powder in the water
- Mix it well by stirring
- Drink it for a week to delay periods
Read more on How To Make Your Periods Come Faster
Effectiveness Of Home Remedies
Home remedies are used in the world from ages but there is not any proper evidence to prove its effectiveness. Home remedies to delay periods are successful on some but not on others. Menstruation is a natural thing and women get periods till menopause, there is no way to escape from it but yes, we can delay it by few days.
Side Effects Of Home Remedies
Home remedies can only postpone the periods but it is advised to use them with precaution as they also have few side effects such as increase in the next month blood flow, periods can come in alternate months or reduces the blood flow. The other side effects include
- Repeatedly delaying periods can affect the ability to conceive or make women infertile
- Causes hormonal imbalance in the body
- Blood Spotting can occur on daily basis
- Problem of mood swinging and behavior change can arise
Other Home Remedies To Delay Periods
Avoid Consuming Spicy Food
Spicy food develop heat in the body and increase blood flow which can initiate periods, so it is advised to avoid spicy food to delay period. Avoid food that have high amount of chilies, garlic, black pepper and cayenne pepper to delay period.
Take Low –Temperature Food Diet
Low –temperature foods such as watermelon, cucumber, sesame, mint, papaya, coconut water, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, milk and curd give coolness to the body and decrease body heat. These foods can low the body temperature and can delay periods. High body temperature or heat can increase the blood flow and induce periods.
Food That Should Be Eaten To Delay Periods
The length of menstrual cycle depends on the food a woman consumes. If woman eats wrong food that imbalance the hormones secretion and make menstrual cycle long. Some foods can delay periods and also reduce length of menstrual cycle.
- Banana helps in getting low bleeding and light period
- Eating carrot can stop periods early
- Iron rich food also reduces menstrual blood flow
- Raisin and yogurt reduces menstrual cycle time
Manage stress to control your periods. Stress gives irregular periods. Mediations, yoga, and deep breathing exercises are good to control stress.
Certain herbs such as shepherd’s purse or tinctures that are available in the market in powder form have ability to delay periods and stop blood flow. Shepherd’s purse is extensively used to stop extreme blood loss during hemorrhages.
Drinking plenty of water is must for getting normal and light periods. Drinking less water can cause problems such as abnormal periods.
Regular exercise is good to get stress free periods as exercise keeps body healthy and fit both physically and mentally.
Precautions While Delaying Periods
- It is good to start home remedies from at least 15 days before the expected date to get desired results.
- Kindly avoid intake of any birth control pills or any hormonal pills as it will affect health in a long way.
- Please stop using home remedies when you get results as using these remedies for longer time is not good for health.
- Be careful about the food you consume during treatment as it will affect the treatment.
- Always consult with the doctor, if you found any side effects on using home remedies.
Menstrual cycle is a natural process and delaying periods is dangerous to the health. Natural home remedies will surely lower the side effects but, again not good for a long term. Generally, home remedies are effective to induce/ delay periods but you need to know the suitable home remedy.