Are you facing difficulties with bad breath? Of course, it is quite understandable that it is an unpleasant. The relieving thing is that you can get rid of bad breath on your own. Thanks to the excellent home remedies that are readily available in your kitchen. In fact, many people suffer in silence with bad breath and they put off getting help from a doctor. The problem is that they do not know which doctor to approach. Some people follow simple remedies like regular flossing and brushing to keep it at bay. Before getting into the home remedies, let us gather some fundamental details here.
What Causes Bad Breath?
It is medically called Halitosis. It is something humiliating and it can affect the self-confidence to a great extent. The common misconception is that bad breath starts from the mouth and ends there. However, it can occur due to different reasons. For instance, it can occur due to conditions in the stomach and digestive tract. Even, issues with tonsils, gums, nose, and tongue can show up as bad breath. Not just these things, some systemic diseases can be the reason behind bad breath.
Drinking enough water is one of the simplest things you can do to relieve bad breath. When your mouth does not have enough moisture, it can lead to lack of saliva. In turn, it will act as the breeding ground for odour-causing bacteria. Some medications can also reduce the natural moisture content in your mouth. Even in this case, taking enough water will help. Further, flossing immediately after food consumption will also help. Even, tongue cleaning can prevent bad breath.
How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath With Home Remedies
You should remember one thing here. Fresh breath is a sign of oral health. A healthy mouth is generally a good indication of overall health. Now, it is time to get into the home remedies to fight bad breath in an effective manner.
1. Cinnamon and Cardamom Mouth Rinse
Cinnamon has a natural flavour and it contains cinnamic aldehyde, which is an essential oil. In addition to covering the bad breath, it will help with bringing down the level of bacteria in your mouth.
To prepare this mouth rinse, you will need
- Tablespoon of cinnamon powder
- Bay leaf
- Few cardamom seeds
- Cup of water
How To Prepare?
- Bring the cup of water to boil
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Also, add a bay leaf, and a few cardamom seeds
- Let all these ingredients boil for a few minutes
- You will see the color of water has changed brown
- Now, strain the tea
- You can store the decoction and can use it as a mouth rinse for refreshing your breath. You can use this tea for rinsing your mouth for 2-3 times a day
2. Include More Of Raw Foods In Your Diet
Experts are of the opinion that including more of raw foods in your day-to-day diet will help you fight bad breath. For instance, eat more of apples, celery, and carrots. Go for crunchy fruits and vegetables that are organically grown. The fiber-rich raw fruits and vegetables are good in fighting against bad breath.
3. Hit Your Spice Shelf
Do you know? Most spices in your spice shelf can fight bad breath? Yes, when you take the case of cloves, it is a potent antibacterial spice. Further, it is rich in a substance called Eugenol. When you have a bad breath, just start biting two clove seeds. It will be spicy, but continue to bite the seeds. You should do it until the essence enters your mouth. Finally, spit the cloves.
You can try the same with other spices like fennel, anise seeds, cardamom, and dill. When others can mask the odor, anise can kill the bacteria growing in your tongue. So, just pop in these spices after every meal to fight bad breath, however, never go overboard.
4. Use Cucumber To Fight Bad Breath
Do you know cucumber can effectively help you get rid of bad breath? The photochemical in cucumber kills bacteria that cause bad breath.
How To Use Cucumber For Bad Breath Relief?
- You will have to just hold a slice of cucumber between your tongue and roof of mouth. Just do it for 30 seconds.
- Cucumber will boost the saliva production in your mouth, thereby fighting bad breath.
- Even, it will remove plaque from gums and teeth that can be the reason behind bad breath.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
I. ACV For Mouth Wash
You might have heard that apple cider vinegar is highly beneficial. But, do you know it works for fighting bad breath? Yes, it is known for its antibacterial properties.
Further, it is effective in restoring the pH balance in your mouth. So, you can prepare a mouthwash using apple cider vinegar to get rid of bad breath:
To prepare this mouthwash, you will need one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Further, you will need a glass of cold water.
How To Prepare?
- Just mix the water and apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- Your mouthwash is ready to use
- Just gargle for 3-5 minutes using this mouthwash
- Finally, rinse your mouth with plain water
- You can do this two times a day once in the morning and again before going to bed.
II. ACV and Parsley Combo
You can use ACV and parsley chew to get rid of bad breath. You will need a small handful of fresh parsley and a cup of ACV.
How Does It Work?
- The combined antibacterial properties of ACV and parsley will help
- Just dip the parsley in the ACV
- Finally, chew them and spit after complete chewing
Remember not to use apple cider vinegar without diluting in water. Otherwise, it can cause ill-effects to your tooth enamel. Even, you can take a spoon of ACV with a glass of water and can drink it before meals. It will improve your digestion. Improper digestion is one of the important contributors of bad breath. In this way, you can ensure proper digestion. Due to its antibacterial property, ACV will fight bad gut bacteria as well to prevent bad breath.
6. Oil Pulling For Bad Breath
Oil pulling is gaining importance these days as an effective remedy for many issues. Do you know that oil pulling is effective against bad breath? Studies show that oil pulling with coconut oil is an effective remedy for bad breath.
Here are certain things to remember in oil pulling:
Things To Remember
- If you are planning for oil pulling for the first time, try it with coconut oil if available
- Do now swallow the oil after keeping the oil in the mouth for some time
- Spit the oil after pulling for some time. But, do not spit on a plant. Just spit it in your wash basin. The reason is that the bad substance might kill the plant
- Remember that after spitting the oil, you should thoroughly rinse the mouth
7. Consider Lemon Juice
If you are concerned about onion and garlic odor, you can take a spoonful of lemon extract. Then, add a pinch of salt to it and can consume it internally. In addition to being an easy remedy for bad breath, it will also help you feel fresh after a spicy or heavy meal.
Even, you can chew a piece of lemon or orange rind. The citric acid will stimulate the salivary gland. In turn, it will fight bad breath. You can also prepare a mouth rinse with lemon.
To prepare this rinse, you will need a small lemon and a cup of water. You will also need a pinch of salt.
How To Prepare?
- Just extract the juice from the lemon
- Add the pinch of salt and water
- Once, the salt dissolves, you can use this liquid as the mouthwash
You can wash your mouth after every meal by preparing it. In addition to fighting bacteria, it will fight dry mouth. Experts are of the opinion that dry mouth is one of the important factors causing bad breath.
Other ways to use lemon for bad breath relief:
- You can take a couple of fresh or dry wild mint. Just pour two drops of lemon juice and chew the mint. It will improve digestion and will fight bad breath.
- You can also prepare a decoction of lemon juice and anise. Just place anise seeds in a cup of warm water. Once the essence of anise gets to the water, filter the seeds and then add a few drops of lemon extract. You can use this combo for mouth rinsing to relieve bad breath.
8. How About Aloe Vera?
You know, aloe vera is gaining importance these days for skin and hair care. But, do you know that it has effective antibacterial and antifungal properties? Yes, due to this reason it can effectively address bad breath. It is effective in getting rid of plaque and it can function as a chlorhexidine mouthwash.
Further, it will improve your mouth’s ability to heal by creating collagen. Aloe Vera mouthwash that can make at home will help to fight against bad breath.
To make the mouthwash, you will need some aloe vera gel and water. If you are worried about the taste, you can also take peppermint oil to prepare this mouthwash.
How To Prepare?
- Bring the water to boil
- Once the water reaches the boiling temperature
- Cool down the water and once it reaches the room temperature add aloe vera gel
- Finally, you can add peppermint oil to enhance the taste of the mouthwash
Fenugreek is a spice that most of us add to our regular cuisines. But, it is an effective home remedy for bad breath. Many of us do not know how to use it for fighting bad breath. Experts are of the opinion that fenugreek is an excellent remedy if the bad breath is caused by catarrhal infections. Let us find out here.
You will just need a spoon of fenugreek seeds and a cup of water to make this tea.
How To Prepare?
- Bring the cup of water to boil
- Add the fenugreek seeds to the water
- Let the tea cool down.
- Finally, strain the water and drink the tea once daily
You can consume this tea until you get rid of bad breath. Remember that it will not take too long to cure your bad breath.
10. Ginger To Fight Bad Breath
Ginger is being used for long as a natural remedy for upset stomach. By addressing upset stomach, it can address bad breath caused due to this reason. You can use a homemade ginger rinse to fight bad breath.
You will need fresh ginger, hot water, and lemon extract to prepare this ginger rinse.
How To Do?
- Take some fresh ginger. Dice it thoroughly after completely removing the peel
- Let the diced ginger infuse in hot water for some time
- Once, the extract of ginger gets to the water, filter it
- Now add some lemon extract to the ginger water and use it for mouthwash
11. Consider Using Baking Soda
You can use baking soda to brush the teeth. It will bring down the level of acidity in the mouth. Further, it will also improve the smell of your breath. Otherwise, you can also use baking soda mixed with water as a mouthwash. It will bring healthy changes to the pH level in your mouth.
Other Ways To Use Baking Soda
- You can use baking soda with lemon juice. The citric acid in the lemon will restrict the growth of oral bacteria. Even, it will bring a strong refreshing citrus scent to your mouth.
- Just mix a spoon of baking soda to a cup of lemon extract. You can use this mixture for gargling to get rid of bad breath.
- You can also make a paste of normal salt and baking soda and use it for brushing to get rid of bad breath.
Include more of yogurt in your diet, if you have a bad breath. It will bring down the level of odor-causing hydrogen sulfide in your mouth. Further, it will help with bringing down unhealthy bacteria.
Even, studies show that you will experience a reduction in the odds of gum disease by including yogurt in your diet regularly. The vitamin D in yogurt will cause an unhealthy environment for bacteria growth.
13. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is generally known for its antifungal and antiseptic properties. Due to its disinfectant nature, it is generally recommended for skin issues. The good thing is that you can use it for fighting bad breath.
Different Ways To Use Tea Tree Oil
- You can go for toothpaste that contains this oil as an ingredient
- You can also add a few drops of this oil to your regular toothpaste
- Otherwise, you can use this oil along with other oils like lemon and peppermint oil in a glass of water. Then, you can use this solution as a mouthwash.
Mint is generally known for its great aroma. You can use mint in combination with other ingredients to create effective remedies for your bad breath.
Ways To Use Mint For Bad Breath
- You can chew mint leaves along with basil and parsley leaves. These three ingredients can effectively bring down the intestinal gas. They will also induce fresh breath. More importantly, you will feel the freshness for a long period.
- When you use mint in combination with wintergreen, they will neutralize bad breath. They will also induce freshness.
Remember that bad breath is caused by different reasons. You can, of course, try these remedies. If you find that they do not work, it is better to talk to your healthcare professional. These remedies have, of course, helped many people and they are sure to help you as well.