Stomach ache, also known as abdominal pain is a common ailment that everyone has experienced more than once in their life. While there are a myriad of reasons for stomach ache, ranging from irritable bowel syndrome to GERD to a simple indigestion, it may not be easy to find the cause. The good news is that most causes are not serious and the symptoms relieve easily. Having said that, even a mild stomach ache can be annoying and you may want to get a quick relief. Here are a few stomach ache remedies that you can try straight out of your kitchen!
1. Alleviate Upset Stomach With Rice Tea
Who knew our love hate relationship with rice could help us with an aching stomach too? Turns out rice tea is a wonderful remedy for an upset stomach.
- Boil half a cup of rice in about 6 cups of water.
- Let it cook for about 15 minutes
- Strain the water in a mug and flavour with some honey if you like.
- Drink it lukewarm.
This remedy not only relieves stomach but is also extremely effective in diarrhea.
2. Soothe It With Apple Cider Vinegar
Seriously, is there anything that apple cider vinegar cannot heal? Whether you have to sooth a sore throat or treat an ugly looking pimple, this magic potion in your kitchen seems to do it all. This popular remedy also works well if you need to calm an angry tummy!
- Mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of warm water
- Add a dash of honey for taste
This remedy eases digestion, relieves gas pain and also lessens any discomfort due to heartburn. Not just that, drinking this solution regularly also aids in weight loss and keeps your digestive system intact.
3. Have Some Yoghurt
We generally do not like anything dairy during a stomach ache but yoghurt serves as a wonderful stomach ache remedy due to its probiotic qualities. It not only eases your digestive discomforts but also boosts your immune system. Refrain from adding sugar to it.
Read more on Stuck Stomach – Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
4. Caraway Seeds Ease An Upset Tummy
Caraway seeds, found in every household kitchen are packed with mineral and vitamins which stop the growth of bad bacteria which is the root cause of gas, indigestion, stomach cramps or bloating. Just nibble a handful of seeds with a glass of warm water after your meal and get instant relief.
5. Feel Better With Fennel
Fennel is an excellent home remedy for stomach troubles-whether you are feeling gassy or suffering from severe cramps. You can make a fennel tea or chew them raw. It also helps in reducing nausea from an upset stomach.
6. Apply Some Heat
One of the most effective medicine free stomach ache remedy is application of heat. So, if you are suffering from stomach cramps, lie down and place a hot water bottle or a heating pad on your stomach.
7. Ginger Reduces Stomach Pain
Ginger is an age old remedy for calming a stomach ache, reason why it is added to many dishes that are prone to make you feel gassy. To ease an upset stomach simply chew on some raw ginger or prepare a ginger tea and sip it throughout the day. To prepare the tea:
- Cut a piece of ginger into small pieces.
- Add to a pan of boiling water and let it boil for few minutes and strain the tea in a cup.
- Mix honey to taste and sip slowly
- Drink this ginger tea twice or thrice a day to get relief from stomach pain and discomfort.
Asafoetida is known as hing, is a popular stomach ache remedy that dates back to thousands of years. It is also a wonderful cure for treating stomach ache in babies and infants. It has anti flatulent and anti spasmodic properties which help in curing stomach ache due to gas or indigestion.
- Take a glass of lukewarm water and add a pinch of asafoetida, mix well. Drink two to three times daily. You can also add pinch of rock salt.
- You can also swallow a lentil size piece of it with a glass of water if you don’t like the taste.
- Alternatively, you can also add a teaspoon of it to hot water, dip a small cloth in it and keep it on stomach for ten to fifteen minutes. Repeating the procedure several times a day soothes stomach cramps. This is an age old remedy for treating stomach pain in infants. You need to remember that the water has to be hot, not lukewarm.
Indigestion causes stomach ache, chamomile may be the perfect solution for you in case of indigestion. It has anti-inflammatory properties along with anti-oxidants that soothe the digestive tract.
- Take teaspoon of dried chamomile leaves and put it in a cup
- Add boiling water and cover the cup
- Allow to steep for about fifteen minutes
- Strain it and add honey or lemon juice as per taste and sip slowly
- You can have it two to three times in a day
- You can also sip some ready-made chamomile green tea if you cannot get hold of chamomile leaves.
It is however suggested to not use this home remedy if suffering from high blood pressure
10. Baking Soda and Lemon For Easing Stomach Pain
Baking soda is alkaline in nature and hence restores ph balance in our body. It helps in relieving stomach ache, reduces bloating and clears out infections. Lemon, on the other hand is a best source of Vitamin-C that helps in detoxification of the body.
- Add teaspoon of baking soda, juice of one lemon and 1/4th teaspoon of salt to one glass of warm water
- Drink it immediately or else will not be effective as fizz fizzles out
- Repeat it two to three times in a day till you get relief from stomach ache
It is however suggested to not use this home remedy if suffering from high blood pressure
11. Peppermint To Reduce Stomach Pain
Peppermint is highly effective in reducing stomach pain and improving digestion. To get relief drink peppermint tea two to three times a day.
- To prepare the tea, take a teaspoon of dried peppermint and add it to a cup of boiling water
- Steep it for about ten minutes. Strain, add honey and drink slowly
- If you do not like the tea, chew fresh mint leaves slowly two to three times a day for instant relief.
12. Try A BRAT Diet
If you are a parent of a toddler, you have probably heard and are pretty aware of BRAT diet. BRAT stands for Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. It is highly effective in curing diarrea, easing nausea and calm an upset stomach. It is a low fibre diet and does not contain salt or spices. It is an ideal go if you are sick and still want to have something. Avoid BRAT diet if you are suffering from constipation though.
Read more on Stomachache Possible Reasons
13. Rooibos Tea For Digestive System
A diet consisting of processed foods makes our digestive system unhealthy especially if we are prone to having junk diet often. Rooibos tea is highly effective in curing diarrhoea cramps and eases the discomforts caused due to indigestion. It contains a high level of flavonoids; regularly sipping this tea supports the digestive system and eases stomach discomforts. The tea is also popularly used to cure diarrhoea, nausea, stomach cramps and indigestion, in addition to reducing inflammation. Rooibos teas are easily available at any health stores or you can acquire some online and even grab some deals.
14. Papaya To Aid Digestion
As a kid, most of us were forced to eat papaya whenever we were constipated. If you tend to get bloated or constipated easily, regular consumption of papaya can be highly beneficial. It is even better if you can find organically grown papaya since it has numerous health benefits. Consumption of papaya also helps in eliminating burping, regulates our bowels and keeps the digestive system healthy.
15. Burnt Toast May Be Beneficial
As funny as it may seem, a burnt toast may be a good idea to relieve stomach troubles. It is said to absorb bad bacteria, calm stomach ache and also make you feel full. To make it taste better, you can smear it with a little honey.
16. Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe Vera juice has been known to provide relief from tummy troubles to many people. It soothes a variety of intestinal tissues, it is one of the reason why Aloe Vera juice is readily available at many health stores. However, it is best to have fresh Aloe Vera juice.
17. Give Lemon Tea A Try
Turns out that lemon not only tastes and smells good, but also gets rid of stomach pain. All you have to do is add a few tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to a cup of hot water and drink it slowly. For more benefits and enhanced flavour you can add a handful of mint leaves and honey. You can also make nimbu pani and sip slowly throughout the day. Add some black salt but do not add any sugar.
18. Drink Warm Salt Water
It is one of the simplest yet effective stomach ache remedy you can try at home. You may already know the benefits of salt water gargle for a sore throat, but turns out drinking salt water can ease stomach discomfort too. So, stir in a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and drink it up! Refrain from drinking salt water if you suffer from hypertension or kidney troubles.
19. Brew Some Cinnamon Tea
Cinnamon helps in boosting your digestive system and helps in reducing bloating. You can add cinnamon powder to your foods, but it is the cinnamon tea that seems to have best effect. To make the tea follow this simple recipe:
- Keep one or two cinnamon stick in a bowl and pour boiling hot water over it.
- Cover and let it steep for ten minutes.
- Drink the tea slowly.
- You can choose to add some honey or ginger powder to reap more effect.
20. Do Some Gentle Yoga
Many yoga specialists claim that you can get relief by doing some stretches. There are a number of stretches designed to help with digestion and bloating. This can make you feel less crampy. For a quick relief, you can try knee to stomach pose. It helps in relieving gas and also helps with constipation.
Reflexology is used to relieve a lot of health issues including stomach ache and digestive troubles. There are thousands of nerves in our hand and feet, that can cause the entire body to relax and feel better, if applied correct technique. The central arch of left foot is meant for the abdominal arch. Hold your foot with right hand and place your left hand under the ball of your foot. Apply a steady and even pressure with your thumb using a forward motion and going across the entire foot.
22. Try Club Soda
Club soda works wonders for an upset stomach. Simply mix in some cold milk with club soda to relieve gas pain in your stomach or have soda with some lime juice. The carbon in club soda makes you burp which in turn releases pressure off your aching belly.
There are numerous things you can do to heal a stomach pain at home, these stomach pain remedies are just a few ways that can help you. You will not just save money by treating yourself at home but also find relief quicker.