What Is Fatigue?
Do you get this draining feeling of sheer exhaustion after any kind of physical or mental activity? It could be accompanied by other symptoms too. These symptoms could be difficulty in concentrating on any task, a lack of motivation and energy to do anything, loss of appetite, sore muscles, headache and irritability, dizziness or moodiness. Overall, there is the general feeling of lethargy, weariness, listlessness or tiredness. This is ‘fatigue’.
Note that feelings of sleepiness or drowsiness may not be counted as fatigue and they are quite normal after a long and tiring day. Now, there could be all kinds of reasons for feeling this way. They could relate to your physiology, psychology or lifestyle. Furthermore experts have discovered that women suffer more from fatigue than men do. Whatever is the case, you need not despair as there are wonderful solutions to take care of your malady by following simple home remedies.
You may call juice made from citrus fruits a perk-me-up or a pick-me-up, but it brings back the vitality into your system like magic! Citrus fruits are filled to the brim with vitamin C. However they also contain essential nutrients such as potassium, calcium, niacin, carbohydrates etc.
This group includes grapefruits, tangerines, oranges, limes and lemons. However lemons are readily available in your kitchen in comparison to the other fruits. Therefore treat yourself to a glass of lemon juice whenever you are feeling excessively tired.
- Take a full glass of warm (if cold season) or chilled (if hot season) water
- Squeeze the juice of half of a fresh lemon fruit into the water
- Stir nicely and consume it completely
- Repeat twice a day.
It is popular for its ability to maintain good health. This is because it has antioxidants (tannins and vitamins B, C and E), anti-inflammatory agents (Saponins), anti-bacterial agents (tannins) and anti-aging agents (vitamin E) within it. There are several minerals too.
- However the caffeine content in the green tea will have marvellous effects on your nervous system ensuring that all your stress disappears
- As your blood circulation receives a boost, all the other systems will also become invigorated
- Your cognitive abilities and metabolism will improve too.
To prepare the tea,
- Boil a cup of water, pour in a teaspoon of green tea leaves or a teabag filled with green tea
- Allow the mixture to steep for five minutes
- Strain the solution and add a spoonful of honey to it
- Drink this tea twice or thrice every day.
Oatmeal For Breakfast
It is imperative that you ‘break your fast’ as quickly as possible! There is a big gap between the previous day’s last meal and the next day’s first meal. Therefore strive to consume whole-grain cereals for breakfast. Apart from containing healthy carbohydrate they also contain iron and fibre. They will ensure that the digestive processes function properly and release energy slowly. Amongst all of them oatmeal is the best.
- Oatmeal is rich in dietary fibre which is a friend of the ‘good’ bacteria in your gut
- The carbohydrates in it suffice to provide rapid energy since they get digested and absorbed very quickly
- Oatmeal contains other nutrients too such as B1 or thiamine, magnesium, phosphorus and protein. Therefore you get a balanced diet in one package
- In case you are a diabetic, you will be happy to discover how well oatmeal keeps your blood-sugar levels under control!
- Your brand had better be organic in nature for maximum benefits. Avoid flavoured or instant varieties
- You may sprinkle a few nuts or flaxseeds onto your oatmeal porridge for greater effect.
Good Old ‘Water’
What do you consume in gallons, during the hot season? Water, of course, apart from all those soft drinks and fresh fruit juices! This is because dehydration leaves you feeling terribly drained and tired. Even your brain slows down. Therefore keep yourself hydrated every single day of your life! In fact, this is one of the simplest fatigue home remedies.
- Pure water does not contain any nutrients on its own. Instead it carries essential nutrients to every cell in your body
- It also carries life-giving oxygen to every part of your body
- When your bodily tissues receive sufficient oxygen and nutrients to function properly you will be able to carry out all your activities tirelessly
- Therefore make sure to consume at least 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.
Potato contains plenty of potassium. The body needs potassium from outside sources since it cannot manufacture it on its own. It is imperative for your cells to function properly thereby releasing requisite energy for carrying out your day-to-day activities.
- Take an unpeeled potato, slice it into large pieces
- Take a glass filled with eight ounces of fresh water
- Add the potato slices to the water and keep the glass in the refrigerator throughout the night
- Drink up the potato water the next morning.
In case you are experiencing chronic fatigue, you could be anaemic. Then you will need to consume iron-rich foods. Some of them are lentils, beans, sesame seeds and spinach.
- However spinach especially tender, baby spinach is best for overcoming your fatigue. It is the most iron-dense foodstuff amongst all
- Spinach has magnesium and potassium as well as vitamins C and B within it. Your cells will receive a great boost via enhanced oxygen supply. The iron in the spinach does the job of transportation.
- You may add spinach to your smoothies, soups, salads, casseroles, stews, sandwiches, snacks and other dishes
- Alternatively you may opt to drink a glass of spinach juice every day.
Yogurt contains large amounts of carbohydrates and protein as well as probiotics that are excellent for your gut.
- Your digestive system is able to process yogurt much quicker than it does solid foods
- Consume at least a cup of fat-free yogurt every day and become energetic instantly!
- You are welcome to eat it anytime of the day
- Add some fruit slices, nuts or frozen berries to the yogurt in order to vary the taste.
Have A Banana
A banana is stocked with potassium that helps to convert the sugary stuff present in your food into energy. However the fruit itself has natural sugars in it such as sucrose, glucose and fructose. There are energy-giving carbohydrates, dietary fibre and useful vitamins (B and C) in it, too.
- Consume a banana or even a couple of fruits each day, to gain instant energy
- Take banana smoothie or banana shake to get energy instantly.
It would be good to have access to this special kind of mushrooms. They are excellent sources of B vitamins such as pantothenic acid, riboflavin and niacin.
- Pantothenic acid is splendid for keeping fatigue at bay during times of stress
- Riboflavin is useful for producing energy
- Niacin does the job of converting the food that you ingest into useful energy
- These mushrooms also contain vitamin B6, folate and thiamine
- Overall the mushrooms ensure that the energy production centres in your bodily cells remain free from damage.
If you are in a hurry, this oil will provide a quick cure for fatigue. The herbal extract contains menthol and menthone.
- Dab a couple of drops of peppermint oil onto a clean tissue or handkerchief
- Whenever you feel excessively tired, hold up the handkerchief or tissue to your nose
- Inhale deeply for gaining instant energy.
Now you need not depend only on certain foodstuffs to cure your fatigue. There are other ways too, of combating fatigue. For instance there is the common misconception that you should just fall flat on your back onto your bed whenever you feel excessively fatigued! However if you would pay keen attention to how you feel when you finally get off the bed you would realise that you are actually feeling more achy, fuzzy and tired than ever before! Therefore, you must confront fatigue by becoming more active! Keep up the activity day after day and you will never experience fatigue again.
- When you engage in an activity even while feeling tired the powerhouses in your bodily cells (mitochondria) go into rapid action
- They help in healthy digestion of food. As the food in your body digests you receive energy and become more active
- There is also the release of ‘happy’ hormones which help in improving your mood and emotions.
It is wrong to feel that yoga is just meant for relaxation or for maintaining a fit body.
- The idea behind yoga is to provide a refreshing workout such that every part of the body becomes active
- Your age or gender does not matter, everyone is capable of experiencing the various levels of yoga
- You may begin with the basic poses and progress towards more challenging ones
- In fact you may just modify simple exercises to make them more challenging for yourself
- Just ensure that you begin your yogic exercises a couple or more hours before meals or after meals.
Do you own a good pair of walking shoes? If you do not, purchase a good pair.
- If you have never engaged in ‘walks’ before begin slowly
- Do not even attempt to march like a soldier the very first time as your body is not used to vigorous exercise yet!
- You may begin by taking your pet dog for a walk, go for a casual stroll around the block etc.
- Begin with 10 minutes initially prior to progressing to 20 minutes, 30 minutes and so on
- It would be good to go for morning or evening walks. Do not stride around during the afternoon.
The fresh air should do wonders for your skin and overall health too.
No, you do not need any fancy equipment for this. Just use the staircase wherein the first two steps should suffice.
- Just step on and step off
- You may alternate the leading leg after every ten movements of stepping on and stepping off
- When you feel comfortable enough strive to make the exercise more challenging
- For instance hold a bottle of water or a tin of canned food in each hand
- Tuck in your elbows at the sides
- Raise your hands towards your shoulders as you step onto the stairs
- Lower your hands as you step off the stairs.
It may hurt and feel tedious in the beginning but you should soon be used to it.
Would you like doing them while brushing your teeth? It is your choice, since you need to practice them for just about a couple of minutes each day.
- They will keep the muscles of your abdomen and lower limbs flexible
- They will also serve to keep your mind alert and energetic
- You may do them in the evening too if it is not possible to do them in the morning.
Mini Exercise Program
Fatigue often occurs due to stiff and unused muscles too. Therefore you could develop a small and easy exercise program for keeping your body well-stretched and flexible. You might include sit ups, press ups, squats, star jumps etc.
Finally in case you desire a quick cure for fatigue, there is one handy! First lie down flat on your back, use a bed or a mat. Ensure that your feet are raised above your head by resting them on two pillows. As a result the blood will not flow towards your legs but flow towards your brain instead. As the blood flows to the brain it gives a wonderful boost. Thereby you tend to become alert and active.