An armpit rash is medically known as Pruritus which can cause discomfort and irritation. It is a common problem in both sexes that causes itching in the armpits and redness on that area. The symptoms of armpit rash vary according to the intensity of the underlying problem. It would cause itching, irritation, redness and scarring in the armpits. Armpit rash is caused by many factors like lack of hygiene, allergen, excessive sweat, candida infection, exposure to hot climate and dermatitis. Armpit rash can be treated with suitable medications after examining the root cause of the rashes.
Armpit Rash Symptoms :
Armpit rash appears anywhere under the arms and sometimes may appear deeper also. Some of the common symptoms of armpit rash are intense itching, inflammation of the skin in the area, redness and swelling of skin. For severe cases, the area of armpits become completely swollen and develops blisters. For others it can form black or red colored patches. The entire area becomes scarred and red due to continuous scratching.
Since the area of armpit has folded skin it is easy for the bacteria and fungus to thrive on the sweat and moisture created in it. The presence of hair follicles and sweat glands also makes it easy for the micro-organisms to thrive. Bacterial infections are also common in armpits since it has skin folds and sweat glands.
Causes Of Armpit Rash :
Many factors (both external and internal) give rise to armpit rash. Some of the common causes of armpit rash are discussed below :
1. Lack of Hygiene : Since the area of armpits is vulnerable to bacteria and fungus it should be kept completely dry and clean. It is the place where hair follicles and sweat glands are present. An individual who is not cleaning his armpit frequently is likely to develop armpit rash easily.
2. Infections : Armpit rash is caused by allergy infections and due to various other skin problems also. Chemical allergy can develop in armpits when a person uses harsh soap or deodorants in armpit.
3. Yeast Infection : Candida albicans is one of yeast varieties present in our body. When the immune system gets weakened, these organisms outgrow in number multiplying rapidly. The areas like armpits, groin and mouth are prone to yeast infection. Fungal infections are also common under the armpit causing severe itching and redness.
4. Excess of Sweat : Some people sweat profusely for no reason. This gives room for micro-organisms to thrive on armpits causing irritation and discomfort. Excessive sweating can also stain the clothing apart from producing bad odor. This condition is medically termed as axillary hyperhidrosis. It can occur when the sweat glands is overly stimulated to produce excess of sweat.
5. Heat Rash : If you are living in hot environment you are likely to develop heat rashes. Exposure to humid climate can increase the chance of rash formation in the body. Sweat glands are blocked due to sweat causing red bumps on the armpits which is known as Miliaria rubra.
6. Skin Problems : If there is excess growth of skin cells it can cause inverse psoriasis. It can cause red patches on the armpits apart from severe itching. Some people will experience pain as well in that area. Skin inflammation can lead to the formation of skin lesions and bumps. This condition is described as dermatitis. It can develop due to skin allergy and overuse of antibiotics. There is chance for developing skin rash if you change your detergents. Excess use of deodorants will block the pores of the sweat glands leading to the formation of blackheads. This might cause itching and redness and for some people abscess may also develop in that area.
Your doctor can easily diagnose armpit rash by mere physical examination. He would listen to the symptoms mentioned above. No special test is needed to detect armpit rashes.
Underarm Rashes Treatment :
Home Remedies :
- You should start practicing good hygiene. Take bath at least one time in a day and more times during summer.
- Do not keep on changing soaps and detergents. Use only branded products that are soft to your skin.
- Be careful while choosing deodorants since it can cause allergy on your skin.
- Daily use of vitamin E product can keep your skin fresh and rejuvenated. Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Add more of foods that contain vitamin C like citrus fruits.
- If there is over irritation you can apply ice cubes on that area to reduce the symptoms.
- Any type of microorganisms will thrive if the place is dark and moist. Hence ensure that you are keeping your armpits dry and clean. Apply soft talcum powder on the skin folds which helps in keeping it dry.
Pictures of Armpit Rash :
Images, Pics, Pictures and Photos of Armpit Rash
Medical Treatment :
Your doctor will have to diagnose the root cause of the problem before treating it. Armpit rash can occur due to different causes given above. The method of treatment also varies according to the cause of the rash. However removing the symptoms is the first step for any treatment. Itching is controlled by taking oral pills, applying skin creams that contain antifungal medication. Candida yeast infection is treated with antifungal cream.
Mild ant-bacterial soap is recommended if the armpit rash is caused by bacterial infection. For people who sweat in excess special gel containing alum chloride hexahydrate is prescribed. Apply few drops of hydrocortisone cream on the armpits can also reduce excess of sweating. Apply calamine lotion on the affected area which provides good relief from the symptoms of redness and irritation. Aloe Vera creams is highly effective in controlling armpit rash. You can also try natural remedies like oatmeal baths. For severe infections, oral pills like antihistamines are prescribed. Benadryl is an effective drug that controls itching.