Tooth decay is largely caused by cavity in the teeth. Bacteria will feed on the leftover food particles on the mouth and produce acids that will wear the tooth causing cavities. Tooth decay if not attended promptly can cause intense pain and tooth infection. In advance stage it can cause loss of tooth. Regular brushing and flossing is necessary to prevent tooth decay.
The affected part of the teeth will have cavity. There will be bad odor from the mouth due to bacterial infection. For some people it will cause moderate to intense pain. There will be yellowish sticky layer on the affected teeth indicating plaque. Taking cold drinks can cause severe pain and sensitivity on the tooth due to tooth decay.
Not brushing properly can cause accumulation of leftover foods on your tooth. Bacteria will invade upon it and produce more of acids which will gradually eat away your tooth causing cavity or dental caries. A clear yellowish sticky substance would envelope the affected tooth indicating bacterial infection. Bacteria will feed on the food you eat and attack your teeth every time you eat something. As the infection develops it will slowly destroy the tooth enamel causing cavities or tooth decay.
Your dentist will examine your teeth to detect plaque and bacterial infection and ascertain tooth decay. He may order for teeth X-ray for detecting the intensity of tooth decay.
Mild forms of tooth decay can be easily treated. Your dentist will clean the teeth by professional cleaning instruments and prescribe fluoride containing toothpaste.
In case the tooth decay is severe he would use fillings for covering the cavities that cause pain and sensitivity. For severe type of tooth decay root canal treatment is done which is expensive and time consuming. Sometimes a crown is put on the top of the tooth that is badly affected by bacteria. If there is no response for any treatment, your dentist will remove the affected tooth.
Pictures of Tooth Decay :
Images, Pics, Pictures and Photos of Tooth Decay
- Preventing tooth decay is easier than treating it.
- You have to brush your teeth regularly twice a day and after each meal. Flossing is to be done at least 2-3 times a week.
- Avoid eating sugary foods and cold drinks that contain more of sugar.
- Avoid eating snacks between meals and do not take anything before one hour of going to bed.
- Do not postpone your visit to dentist and follow the instructions of your dentist.
- Children are more prone to get tooth decay since they are fond of chocolates and sweet items.
- Tooth decay is one of the major health problems in most of the world countries and it can be prevented by taking care of your teeth and following simple things in life.