In this article we shall discuss about the various methods of treating the piercing infection. Not all the men and women who are done with piercing develop any infection. The chance of getting an infection on the piercing site depends on the site of piercing, skin type, nature of needle used and environment. The defense mechanism of the body is designed and well adapted for self-cleansing. Immune system of the body would automatically start working on the site if there is any wound or injury. Good bacteria would be brought into action for healing the wound. Ears get cleaned regularly without waiting for any effort from your side. Frankly speaking no other cleansing method is needed for piercing site. It is enough if you keep the area dry and dirt-free.
- Cleaning :
Keep the piercing site clean and dry. Cleaning does not mean washing the piercing site with water throughout the day. It is enough if you clean it twice a day. This is to ensure that any kind of debris and discharge like fluids is removed from the area.
- Sea Salt Solution :
Sea salt water is highly effective antibacterial agent. Soak the piercing site with sea salt solution twice a day. Check that you are using non-iodized salt and not the kitchen table salt. Add 1 tsp of sea salt in lukewarm water and take a soft cloth and soak it fully in the solution for few minutes. When the heat is bearable keep the cloth at the site of piercing. You can repeat it twice or thrice for the first few days after piercing.
- Saline Water :
You can get sterile saline water solution like Steri wash and H2ocean etc. This is a good cleaning option for piercing site. You can use this as an option at workplace or during travel when getting freshly prepared sea salt solution is not possible.
- Soap Water :
When any of the two methods given above is not feasible you can use a simple remedy like soap water. Use mild soap water solution for cleaning and rinsing the piercing site. This is possible for cleaning most of the areas of the piercing excepting oral piercing.
- Antibacterial Mouthwash :
Use antibacterial mouthwash like Listerine for rinsing the mouth and possibly you can repeat this after every meal of the day. Avoid hot and spicy foods for few days.
- Cold or Hot Compression :
Warm compression can be soothing to reduce the swelling and redness on the site of piercing. In case you are using ice pack never keep it directly on the skin. Wrap the ice-cubes in a towel and apply it on the site.
Medical Treatment :
All the above remedies are recommended for managing the mild symptoms caused by pain and swelling after piercing. However the above simple remedies are applicable for people who have not developed any infection.
- If you have pain, redness, discomfort and swelling even after 2 days of piercing it can be an infection. Over the counter painkillers and antihistamines can be effective in managing the situation.
- Antibiotic ointment like Polysporin, polymyxin B sulfate can be applied on the affected site to facilitate quick healing.
- If you think you cannot manage the condition you can remove the jewelry.
- Medications like Ibuprofen, Advil or Motrin can be taken to control pain.
- Drugs like Tylenol can be used to reduce inflammation. Other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can be effective.
- Aspirin paste can also be applied on the wound to reduce pain and swelling.
Cleaning Instructions :
- Wash the hands before cleaning the site of piercing.
- Do not over-wash the area. It is enough if you clean it twice a day.
- You can soak the piercing site (if possible) with sea salt solution.
- For navel and genital piercing you can use bathtub for soaking your body in warm water.
- After cleaning dry the area by gently patting on the area with disposable paper or tissue.
- Don’t use towels for wiping off excess of water since it may snag on the jewelry causing more trouble.