Hot tub folliculitis is a common skin problem in which there would be red lesions on the skin. This disorder does not spare even babies or children and it equally affects both adults and children. There will be marked lesions or bumps on the buttocks, legs and chest region. Hot tub rash is referred to as “goose bumps” rash and can be easily cured. The affected person should use antibacterial soaps for clearing the skin infection. The hair follicles of the skin develop inflammation due to the formation of pus inside. This appears as red bumps on the opening of the hair follicle.
Who Are At Risk ?
Individuals who are obese, diabetic patients and people suffering from chronic cancer are prone to get folliculitis. Those who have autoimmune disorder like AIDS and hepatitis and people who take anti-immune drugs are also under risk of getting hot tub rash.
Very often hot tub rash is caused by microorganisms present in hot tub that spread infection. Basically it spreads due to poor maintenance and unhygienic atmosphere of hot tubs. It can also be caused by using irritating soaps and washes and due to internal abnormalities. Some medicines can also cause adverse effect by forming hot tub rash.
The doctor will examine the skin and if necessary he would do the culture test of the pus like discharge from the skin, for detecting the presence of bacteria.
Steroid folliculitis rash is one which is caused by continued usage of cortisone medicines. Cutting oil rash is one which affects workers who are exposed to insoluble oils at work environment and staphylococcal rash is caused by bacteria. The bacteria by name Pseudomonas aeruginosa causes hot tub rash and this is mainly due to poor hygiene of hot tubs. That is the reason why rashes commonly develop on the back and buttock region. Hot tub rash is not contagious but it can spread when healthy person shares the razor or hot tub of the affected person.
Initially the symptom will be in the form of itchy skin which will later give rise to bumpy rashes on the skin. These bumps will be of red color tender to touch and the lesions contain pus like liquid inside. The rash formation will be dense on private areas which are kept moist for long time. Bacteria thrive easily on wet areas like groin.
Generally hot tub rash do not develop into any complication. However in some cases, the bumps may get enlarged forming painful cyst like growth which needs to be drained surgically. For some people, the skin color may get changed due to the formation of red bumps.
Pictures of Hot Tub Rash :
Images, Pics, Pictures and Photos of Hot Tub Rash
- Basic idea should be to prevent the formation of hot tub rash by avoiding using public bath-tubs and swimming pool. Number of home remedies and over the counter medicines is available. You can use benzoyl peroxide which is effective in clearing the bacterial infection. Phisoderm wash can be used two times a day for clearing skin rashes.
- You can soak yourself in the warm water tub which contains white vinegar for half-an-hour for preventing bacterial rash. Alternatively bacterial rash can be cured by taking oral antibiotics and by using topical creams.
- You need to take cephalexin or dynacin pills for 2 weeks or a month depending on the intensity of rash.
- You should follow the instructions of your doctor for completely curing the symptoms. Infectious folliculitis can be treated by using antifungal soaps and shampoo.
- In case of change in skin color, you can use prescription creams by name hydroquinone 2-4%.