Cysts are nothing but small sacks of skin filled with liquid or gas or semi-solid particles. Cyst can be caused by excess of secretion of specific gland or sometimes due to an infection. Cyst can develop anywhere in your body but largely found on the buttocks, breasts, armpits, thighs and on your back. Jock itch is the primary cause of inner thigh cysts caused by fungus.
In rare cases cysts are formed internally within the organs and due to infection it can lead to abscess. Cysts that develop in the ovaries need to be treated to prevent complication.
Cysts occurring in the inner thigh region can cause discomfort and pain, owing to its location. They lie closer to the groin and likely to get infected by micro-organisms due to continuous warmth and darkness in the area. Inner thigh cyst can cause pain and hence need to be treated promptly. Bacteria are always present in the hair follicles of the skin and sometimes they exceed in number and accumulate to form a boil or cyst. They get trapped inside the hair follicle and that’s how cyst is formed in the inner thighs.
Some of the signs of cyst formation in the inner thigh and other body parts are :
- Small red bumps
- Does not cause pain, unless infected
- It may or may not be itchy
Read more on Rash On Inner Thighs
Causes Of Cysts On Inner Thigh :
1. Jock’s itch – Fungal infection causing inner thigh cyst is also known as Jock’s itch. It largely occurs in men near the groin region but sometimes women can also get infected by fungus. Small cyst are formed like red bumps in the inner thigh region causing persistent itching.
2. Acne Inversa – HS or hidradenitis supurativa (commonly known as acne inversa) is a chronic skin problem that causes blood filled pus or cysts in the armpit, under the breasts and inner thighs and groin. A group of abscess join together to form blood filled boil or pus. They almost look like infection although they are not. This skin disease can cause scarring and outbreaks of such cysts are painful. For some people the same condition may continue for several weeks or months and even years. Once the pus gets drained the cyst may cause open wounds taking long time for healing.
If you observe any cysts or bumps in the skin filled with blood looking reddish it can be acne inversa. It is better to get it treated with doctor to prevent further spreading of HS throughout the body.
3. Folliculitis – The hair follicles of the skin get inflamed forming inner thigh cyst and bumps on other parts of the body. When bacteria invade the hair follicles it may lead to infection causing itching and pain. Folliculitis can also occur due to ingrown hairs on some part of the body.
4. Infection – Bacterial or fungal infection can cause inner thigh cyst with redness and pain. Hair follicles on the superficial layer of the skin are damaged by repeated scratching causing a boil and cyst. In rare cases viral infection can also cause warts in which the microorganism penetrates into the skin forming bumps or lesions. Warts look like scaly red patches on the skin of inner thigh.
5. Friction – Joggers and runners develop cyst due to constant rubbing of skin. This will eventually cause irritation of skin on the inner thighs leading to cyst formation. Wearing tight undergarments and unclean garments can also cause cyst and infection. Heat rash cyst can cause considerable pain on the inner thigh and groin region.
6. Infection Caused By Sex – For people who have many sex partners getting STD infection is high. Cysts may occur near the genital areas are largely caused by herpes or syphilis virus. It may cause additional symptoms like fever, chills, body pain and fatigue along with cyst on the genitals or on the inner thighs.
7. Abscess – Abscess is tiny growth of the skin, red in color causing pain. Normally cysts when left untreated get infected by bacteria to form an abscess.
8. Tumor – Tumor (malignant) grows under the skin and not on the surface unlike other inner thigh cyst or bumps. The size, color and shape of the cyst keep changing over time, in case it is a tumor.
9. Blocked Pores – The pores of the skin produces oil to keep the skin lubricated. These pores get blocked due to accumulation of dirt particles affecting the free flow of fluids. This would eventually form a cyst due to inflammation of skin in the affected area.
Who Are At Risk ?
- Anybody can develop inner thigh cyst, irrespective of sex and age.
- People with existing skin disease like eczema and dry skinned people are more vulnerable to itchy inner thigh cyst than others.
- People with weak immune system and those with chronic uncontrolled diabetes are at risk of getting inner thigh cyst.
- Obese people and people who sweat a lot and those who follow unclean toilet habits are at high risk of inner thigh cyst.
Cyst and Boil :
A boil and a cyst are almost the same as red bumps or lesions on the skin. Boil occurs through infection and are more painful than a cyst. Pus and other bodily fluids are high in volume in a boil when compared with a cyst. Cysts are often painless and itchy.
Checking With A Doctor :
You need not have to worry and check with your doctor if you have got inner thigh cyst. Mostly they do not require any treatment. You can consult your skin doctor if the cyst grows bigger in size and is very painful.
Read more on Inner Thigh Pain
If the inner thigh cysts are painful and filled with pus/blood/fluids you can consult your doctor. Usually the cysts will settle down within few days. In case of infection you need to take prescribed antibiotics or antifungal medications. Your doctor would inspect the area before recommending any medication. Topical creams that contain corticosteroid are effective in controlling itchy feeling.
For Jock’s itch your doctor may suggest topical creams that contain terbinafine and oral pills also in case of severe infection. Clotrimazole or miconazole powder can also be effective in reducing the symptoms. Remember, fungal infections on the groin and inner thigh region needs to be treated, failing which it can spread to other body parts as well.
For STD infection causing inner thigh cyst suitable antiviral medications is prescribed. In rare cases of tumor, your doctor would first confirm his diagnosis and give radiation therapy of creams or surgery to remove the tumor, based on its intensity and stage.
Home Remedies For Cysts On Inner Thigh :
- Wear loose fitting clothing and clean undergarments.
- Apply warm compress on the inner thigh cyst for few minutes. This will reduce inflammation and control itchy feeling.
- Add a cup of Epsom salt in the bathtub and relax yourself in the tub for 20 minutes.
- Do not attempt to prick the bumps or cysts since it would cause more damage than good.
- Gently apply few drops of tea tree oil on the cyst which would help in shrinking the cyst.
- Apple cider vinegar and baking soda paste can be applied on the inner thigh cyst.
- For sports people cyst or boil can occur due to friction. Applying skin moisturizers can reduce friction cyst.
- OTC drugs like Ibuprofen and similar pills can be taken for managing pain.
Tips To Prevent :
- Wear clean clothes and don’t share personal things with others.
- Infection can easily spread by sharing wash towels and other toilet items.
- Keep the inner area clean and dry.
- Avoid scratching the skin, even if it is itchy. Apply coconut oil or olive oil to control itching.