In most of the cases of body piercing the site would heal completely within a week or so. But it differs with the area of piercing, nature of jewel and individual’s skin sensitivity. The person should be patient and give enough time for complete healing. It is very much essential for the person to follow certain instructions till the time of healing, failing which infection is likely to occur. The jewelry must be left intact in the site of piercing for at least one month or until the wound heals completely. You should not attempt to change the jewelry in the mean time. In case you feel that the jewelry is not tight you can approach the piercer for placing it intact. In this article we shall discuss about the various aspects of post-care instructions of body piercing.
General Post-Care Approach :
- Keep the site of piercing clean and dry
- Do not touch the piercing site often with your fingers
- Do not try to remove/change the jewelry until the wound is healed
- Follow the precautions given by your piercer in every form to prevent infection
Specific Post-Care Technique :
Oral Piercing :
- Tongue-piercing or lip piercing falls under the category of oral piercing. You need to very careful in taking safety precautions mentioned by the piercer.
- Rinse the mouth thoroughly using antibacterial mouthwash (alcohol free) after each meal of the day and before going to bed. Listerine or biotene mouthwash can be used.
- When compared with other sites of piercing oral piercing takes more time for healing and it is one area that is more prone to infection.
- In case you don’t have antibacterial mouthwash you can sea salt water rinses. Take one cup of lukewarm water and add ½ tsp of sea salt to it. Use this as rinsing solution for rinsing the mouth for 30-45 seconds each time. You can repeat this after every meal. (max. 3-4 times).
- Before going to bed check whether the jewelry remains intact with the threaded ends and wash the hands with soap water before checking.
- Change your toothbrush and use soft bristles toothbrush after oral piercing.
- Avoid hot/cold foods for the first few days since it can cause irritation on the site of piercing.
- Eat slowly and take frequent meals in small bites.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene.
- And remember no oral sex until the site of piercing is healed completely. Exchange of saliva makes it highly vulnerable to infection. Hence no kissing or any form of oral sex.
- Avoid chewing gum or tobacco in any form during the process of healing. Avoid smoking during this period.
- Reduce the intake of caffeinated drinks.
- Avoid alcohol and any beverages that contain alcohol since it can aggravate swelling.
- Avoid taking hot and spicy or fried foods for few days.
Ear/Nose Piercing Post-Care Tips :
- The chance of getting infected is less in these parts when compared with other body parts.
- Don’t touch the piercing site, even if you are tempted to.
- Clean the area at least twice a day with mild soap water or sea salt solution.
- The pain/discomfort should reduce within 2 days of piercing.
- Avoid using bathtubs if you are not sure about its cleanliness. Instead you can use shower.
- If the pain persists for more than 2 days or if there is bump formation you can contact your piercer or GP.
Navel Piercing Post-Care Tips :
- Avoid touching the area frequently.
- Clean your hands using mild soap solution before washing the piercing site.
- You can use warm compression of sea salt soak if there is pain or swelling in the belly button.
- Wear loose fitting clothing and ensure that the site of piercing is not touched with your shirt or blouse.
- Use clean bed sheet on your bed.
Genital Piercing Post-Care Tips :
- Abstain from sex totally until the site heals off completely.
- Since the area is very delicate and soft it may take enough time for healing.
- Avoid touching the jewelry with your hands.
- You may find it difficult while urinating for the first few days.
- Keep the genitals clean and dry to the extent possible.
- In case of pain you can consult your doctor for sure.