Asthma is a problem that causes difficulty in breathing. The airways get blocked due to inflammation causing reduced oxygen supply to the lungs. Asthma can cause symptoms of wheezing, repeated coughing and tightness of chest. In severe cases it can cause asthma attack. In America alone, about 26 million people have asthma. Asthma can limit your activity and working capacity and in some cases it can seriously affect the quality of life. But asthma can be managed with lifestyle changes and medical treatment.
1. Airway Obstruction
Allergy inducing substances like pollen, dust, smoke and respiratory virus can trigger the muscle that surrounds the airway making it tight. This can prevent normal flexible movement of air causing shortness of breath. Air movement through the airways gets contracted narrowing the airways, producing a whistling sound which causes symptoms of wheezing.
2. Swollen Bronchia
People with asthma, would develop severe inflammation in the bronchial tubes. In case swelling of bronchial tubes is not treated promptly it may cause damage to the lungs. Severe cases of asthma should be treated by medical approach but you can always use these home remedies alongside.
Ginger is a natural agent that is widely used for many problems like cold, indigestion and asthma. Ginger helps in reducing inflammation in the airways clearing off the mucus. Ginger also acts as a muscle relaxant.
- You can use ginger in many forms like ginger juice, ginger powder and ginger tea.
- Make a paste one tsp of ginger powder, honey and pomegranate juice. Take this mixture 2-3 times a day to control the symptoms of asthma.
- Drink ginger tea before bedtime to get quality sleep without nasal congestion and wheezing.
- Add fenugreek seeds and ginger powder in a cup of boiling water. Let it sit for few minutes. Drink this juice in empty stomach to get rid of asthma symptoms.
- Use ginger daily in your diet if you have asthma.
4. Mustard Oil
Heat few drops of mustard oil and rub it gently on your chest and upper back. This is an effective remedy for asthma. Mustard oil can clear off the respiratory tract so that you can breathe without any discomfort. Asthma attack can also be treated with mustard oil.
Figs serve as a natural remedy for asthma. Soak 2-3 figs in a cup of water and leave it for 5-6 hours. Take the figs preferably in empty stomach to get rid of accumulated phlegm from the lungs and nasal passage.
Regular use of garlic in diet can help in reducing asthma symptoms. Nasal congestion and phlegm from the lungs can be cleared by taking garlic daily. You can eat garlic pods as such or mix garlic pods in a glass of warm milk and drink it.
It is not known exactly how coffee helps in reducing asthma symptoms, but it helps in loosening the mucus. Drinking coffee can relax the airways thus helping you to breathe with comfort. People with asthma can take up to four cups of coffee daily (preferably black coffee).
8. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is highly effective for cold and asthma symptoms. All you have to do is to add few drops of this oil in a paper towel and place it in your forehead before going to sleep. Alternatively, you can inhale the steam containing few drops of eucalyptus oil for few minutes. This method gives relief from the lung congestion clearing off the nasal passage.
Honey is an effective home remedy for cold and asthma. Add few drops of honey in a cup of hot water and sip it slowly. You can repeat this remedy for 3-4 times a day. You can get uninterrupted sleep by taking honey with water before bedtime. Phlegm can be reduced considerably by drinking honey regularly along with cinnamon powder.
Nasal pathway can be cleared off the mucus with onion. Onion helps in reducing lung inflammation thus helping to overcome the symptoms of asthma. It can be taken in raw form or cooked form.
Lemon adds up vitamin C level and antioxidants in your body. Getting more of antioxidants can help in reducing asthma and related symptoms. Drink the juice containing few drops of lemon extract (preferably warm). Fruits like papaya, oranges, and strawberries can be taken by people with asthma but avoid having other citrus fruits since it can aggravate your symptoms.
12. Carom Seeds
Carom seeds or ajwain is highly effective bronchodilator for asthma. It helps in dilating the bronchial tubes thus reducing the intensity of symptoms. Inhaling the steam containing carom seeds helps in relieving the signs of asthma.
Additional Tips :
- Keep your house clean and dust-free. Identify what exactly triggers asthma and avoid them totally. Clear off any kind of allergens and pollutants from your home.
- Include plenty of ginger, rosemary and turmeric in your diet.
- Eat fresh cod, salmon or mackerel at least twice a week.
- Take omega 3 fatty acid supplement daily.
- Avoid oily and spicy foods and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce milk and other dairy products if you are lactose intolerant.
- Eat in smaller doses frequently instead of large hefty meals.
- Complete your dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed. Asthma attack gets triggered due to inflow of stomach acids.
- Practice deep breathing techniques regularly.
- Take precautions during winter months.
- And most importantly if you are suffering from chronic asthma, follow the instructions of your doctor and keep his/her number handy. Always carry the recommended inhaler in your bag while going out.